Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The Call of Cthulhu

It's 11:55 pm on Christmas Night and I've just finished reading the original "Call of Cthulhu."
Don't get me wrong, there was something very creepy about the story. But in my
opinion, all this "Cthulhu talk" is much ado about nothing. Do we really believe there's
a tentacled demi-god lurking below the black waters of the pacific? Or, like the Chuck
Norris phenomenon, are you guys just looking for some obscure pop-culture reference
in which to ironically revel? I don't get it.

That being said, this quote from the story struck me as apropos of "In the Heart of The
Sea:"

"Who knows the end? What has risen may sink, and what has sunk may rise. Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep, and decay spreads over the tottering
cities of men."

Merry Christmas!

-Ned-

2 comments:

Morrison T. said...

I agree. we should focus on realities like college and death. mythical creatures just distract us from important issues like global warming!

Stoicned said...

Funny.