Tuesday, November 27, 2007

No Fat Chicks

Hello RiverCity students! Though I am not an attendee at your school I felt like adding my “2 cents”.

As I sit here, in my living room, I am thwarted by a longing to have something delicious grace my pallet. Am I hungry? No, not really. But those jalapeno potato chips, to my left, sure do look appealing. I suppose I could go upstairs and prepare myself a healthy snack instead of eating those. But, again I’m not really hungry and that would take too much effort. Eventually I will give in to the craving and guzzle down a couple handfuls of chips, happily licking my fingers between swallows.

You see, junk food is not only tasty, but it is virtually devoid of any preparation. A quick meal from a fast food restaurant is notably alluring after a hard days work. The cost is easy on the wallet as well.

After eating such a meal, one is sure to feel tired and unproductive. It’s easy to spend countless hours in front of the T.V. “relaxing”.

This endless cycle is just one of the many relying factors of obesity. But like any unhealthy addiction, there must be preventative steps taken to ensure the end of it. Should the schools be responsible for this? In some ways, yes. They can promote healthy lifestyles and offer alternatives to otherwise harmful foods. But there is only so much a school can do. Ultimately, people should take charge of their own lives. Though, it sounds much easier than it actually is. To make life changes, one needs a support system to help them along the way, be it friends or family.

Of course, if doing the whole diet and exercise thing is too demanding, just invest in the ol’ eating disorder.

5 comments:

Spanish said...

I understand where you are coming from and agree with you. The only other thing I would have to say is people need to quit blaming it on other people, and just accept that they are the only one who can change it and nobody else. Help can only go so far if that person accepts it. But I Agree ten fold.

Stoicned said...

Damn you and your well-reasoned arguments!
Why don't you go back to your jalapeño chips and leave us alone....not really.

I agree with you though, convenience is paramount in today's culture and that isn't a good thing.

I have an idea, why don't we start an "inconvenience movement" where we only do things that take hours to complete?

Instead of eating those chips, we could walk to the store, buy a few potatoes, some corn oil, fresh jalapeños, and make our own chips!

After that, we could squeeze our own lemons for lemonade and play chess on a board we carved from the pine tree in our back yard.

Joy!

-Ned-

Lolami said...

You know, home-made jalapeño chips are an aphrodisiac.

Stoicned said...

How am I supposed to respond to that?

Also, why "Dear Manilow?" Are you a "Fanilow?"

ジョル said...

dammit now I'm hungry. thanks.